View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Thanks, juiceme, but unfortunately, instead of simplifying it for me, you complicated it even more. Maybe we are talking about different things. All this time I was talking about the communication between the handset and the nearest cell tower. I understood the "voice is always on GSM" claim in that context and that context alone. Maybe I was wrong and needed to take a more holistic approach.
Indeed we could be talking past each other, happens to me all the time!

I was mainly pointing out the differences in backhaul, which in reality are the more important things, air interface is just air interface

So, when concentrating on the air interface, between the UE and BTS, there is not really that much difference between whether the call is CS or PS. All the difference is in signalling; how to establish the routing of the data in backhaul, what codec, channel configuration and data rate to use, etc...

So the question "is CS call always GSM?" is a bit misleading; "GSM" is not a very specific term really.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: