View Single Post
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
These do not have working usb ports and as a moral creature I feel I need to empty these before sending them to a forum member for new usb socket soldering. A lot of personal data in them. Just to make sure that if these would disappear on the way. There have been bank and passport data in them and personal conversations, account details etc. I have now emptied about 40 of them but some are locked. Member promised to flash them after new socket installed so that is a good thing, but just feel I need to do this.
If you "rm -rf" the whole /home/user directory*, or at least the contents of it, everything should be gone, right? No user data's gonna be stored, e.g., in /etc . . . I'd hope. Someone here would know if it's otherwise . . .

I looked at "hdparm," but maemo's linux implementation doesn't appear to have --security-erase option. That would be really taking off and nuking it from orbit.

*I guess there's always the risk that you somehow render the device unbootable, but that also solves the problem -- in a manner of speaking.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post: