View Single Post
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Albuquerque, NM, USA
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
The Pinephone isn't shipping for who knows how long (they say "January 2021" but with all that's going on in the world, I don't trust shipping estimates that far out) plus they say its for people who are developers/early adopters and not just people who want something for everyday use.
I'm very happy with my pinephone. If you don't depend on MMS, it's perfectly suitable for everyday use. Calls, SMS, and power management are all working reasonably well on the latest distro releases.

They expect to ship the next wave out in January, which is only a few weeks. There isn't any reason to expect they'd miss it other than pandemic-related logistics problems, which could affect any overseas shipping.

If you do pick one up, spend a few extra bucks to grab the UART cable. It's turned out to be much more useful than I had expected.

EDIT: In case it's not clear, Pine64 has been reliably shipping Pinephones for months. They've been shipping various "community edition" phones since May, in batches every 2-3 months. Since a board revision after the first UBPorts edition, the only difference has been the preinstalled OS and branded back cover.

The next batch is the Plasma Mobile edition, with KDE branding and shipping with Manjaro-ARM Plasma Mobile in January.

Last edited by preflex; 2020-12-07 at 05:55.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post: