Thread: I'm back!
View Single Post
Best way is to flash your self over the years maintained and evolved backup image. But since there are so many bugs and so many ways to fix a bug depending on your needs everyone has his own version.

My use (until the end of 3g) was

For browsing i used a server which i connected to via vnc or streaming.

location you could get to work but it is a total mess. My solution was to overwrite /etc/hosts everytime i connected to the internet to add an entry to supl.google.com to skip certificate errors.

functional:

leste is nice but even they seem to target newer devices.
Powermanagement wasnt/(isnt?) as good as on stock. Combined with a small battery you wont get far. But still your best choice.
But to run new software like maps or a browser on a device with 4GBit of ram will be hard. I had navit running for offline navigation, but if i rembered correctly i had my own version which had less bugs but still had a ton of bugs and was slow as hell cause it could not use location and sdl at the same time. There was a huge patch for it for the similar palm pre but (luckily) it didnt survived the time.

stock
Stock uses a lot of things that arent used anymore, in ancient (highly) modified versions.
If you want to learn how to not do it: this is your way forward

for me it is not functional as a phone or computer anymore and not worth the trouble.

It is still a nice device for tinkering with all its sensors, connectivity, battery, small form factor, ok documentation and a (mostly) helpful community.

But devices are harder to get and too expensive to justify all the learning about all the hardware [resolder usb port] and software bugs.