View Single Post
Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
RELEASE NOTES AND MORE INFO CAN BE FOUND ON THE WIKI: http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...p?title=Debian

I've just put together a new tarball of Debian for the N800 and N810. This time it includes the XFCE4 desktop. Here are some screenshots:
Here's GMPC music player:

And Epiphany web browser w/ the webkit backend:

Current status:
What works:

* X11
* Touchscreen
* Wireless (even WPA!)
* CPU frequency scaling (cpufreq)
* Bluetooth
* backlight control: works, access to all 128 levels. (echo 90 > /sys/devices/platform/omapfb/panel/backlight_level)
* Both the d-pad and the N810 keyboard should work, as well as USB keyboards (thanks to jott!)
* Some power management seems to work
* Sound works fine

What doesn't work:

* Camera (omap24xxcam device) -- would be great to have this! This really shouldn't be too much work to do if someone wants to look at it.

INSTALLATION:
I'll give a brief rundown here, but please see the wiki for more info:
1) Setup boot from SD with fanoush's initfs. (Instructions on how to do this are outside the scope of this thread. Thanks for your understanding.)
2) download and untar the debian beta3 .tar.bz2 onto an ext2/3 partition on your sd card.
3) Use fanoush's bootmenu to boot from it.
4) Enjoy!

QUESTIONS? BUGS? PROBLEMS?
1) Please look at the FAQ on the wiki. first!
2) If you ask a question and get an answer please update the FAQ! Don't worry about formatting, it's more important to have the info somewhere than for it to be pretty. You can even just put the question in the FAQ and link back to the post that answered it.
3) I don't mind answering new questions, but if you have a problem, try and provide as much detail as possible and any relevant logs with your post. This will make it easier to help you.

EDIT: Also, I'm open to requests for screenshots of your favorite app running on Debian. That should be fun.

-John

Last edited by Johnx; 2008-05-14 at 09:46.

The Following 46 Users Say Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post: