View Single Post
New enlightenment thread related to Mer/Ubuntu over here
Installation
Yeah.. not much to it. You need to head on over here and add my repository to get the latest (experimental) e17 binaries. Then it's just a simple matter of:
Code:
apt-get install e17
That grabs everything you need for a functional setup. No need to modify any login manager files or anything because unlike KDE or Gnome.. Enlightenment don't need/care/want/have one.

Any good?
Meh. This is all just my opinion of course but it was OK at best. It ran a little better than KDE4 .. but still slower than KDE3 and Gnome. On the up side the desktop looks very snazzy, and even has transparent task bars and all kinds of animated graphical goodies. So it's really impressive; but again - there's that speed cost. I was using iceweasel with it for a while and it was just downright cruel.. so I eventually gave up on using it for much lol.. but you could look at it for a while and just smile at your tablet . Yay for options.

You'll have to give it a try and see if you like it or not. It's not too bad... but I think I'll be going back to Gnome personally. The really nice thing about enlightenment is there are only maybe a handful of libraries, and e17 and e17-data packages you need to remove to get rid of it (or install it for that matter)... so it's small and easy to control. Unlike KDE and Gnome where it's just easier to trash your deblet and start over then try and remove 160 packages you no longer need.

Obligatory Screenshot:
Attached Images

pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2009-03-08 at 05:58.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: