View Single Post
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
I will answer these questions, but Deblet is a bit put aside for the 'Mer' project - which hopefully will be the successor of Deblet. I can recommend looking into contributing in that area, read http://maemo.org/community/council/c...er_2008-part_i for more. As this has a lot more potential for the tablets, bringing best of both words.

1) GPS & Mapping?

Mapping, if you can find it in Debian, it's there

2) Sound & music playing?

As far as I know, DSP drivers should work, but it's not perfect. Music players that Debian has, we usually have..

3) Video Playback (according to the hack challenge thread mplayer doesn't work yet)?

It may work but not accelerated - if it does xv acceleration it can work, but I'm not sure of quality

4) Video recording? (the homepage shows a screenshot of Cheese )

Cheese worked out of the box but was kinda slow - I didn't try video recording, but as it's V4L ..

4) wifi connectivity?

Yes, with power saving too. NetworkManager like on PCs.

5) bluetooth connectivity?

Yes, BlueZ.

6) PIM?
7) Email?
8) Book reading?

.. Debian (packages.debian.org again)

9) keyboard functionality (the homepage mentions the Fn & Chr keys not working)

I'm not sure if I got that included in my patches.

10) OTG?

USB host should work. Gadget isn't loaded automatically, so.

But again, follow Mer development. When we get things going and compiled, we hope we will have quite an interesting system.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.