View Single Post
I've got two cameras of nearly the same model, the only difference is that one is 6 megapixels and the other 8 (IIRC).. everything else is the same. Most importantly, the CCD is the same size, so the 8MP version has smaller pixels.

The result? Smaller pixels: Smaller light-collecting area. Less photons: the light sensitivity went out the window. The 'new' higher-pixel model is close to useless compared to the earlier model, as the 6MP version works just fine in twilight while it's difficult to even focus in indoor lightning or cloudy afternoon with the 8MP version. And, as the new model compensates for less light sensitivity by slowing down the shutter I get much shakier images.

No, give me max. 6-7MP any day, the pixel mania only results in bigger pictures for no reason, and less light sensitivity. At least for compact cameras. The best SLR cameras (with large CCDs too) can afford many megapixels, but I wish they could leave the compact cameras (and by extension, phone cameras) out of this *****ic race. Heck, it's quite impossible to buy anything below 10MP these days - I've tried. Argh..

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post: