View Single Post
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm all for NDAs. I especially like NDAs that are very clear in their scope. An NDA is a legal document, and it establishes a contract between the people signing the document.

And I understand when employees must watch what they say about their employer (even beyond the scope of any NDAs they sign); they are being payed to be on a team, and they should be good team members by displaying solidarity with the team.

But, I think it stinks when community members, not bound by any such document, not on anyone's payroll, and completely unrelated to a corporation in any formal way (not appointed by the corporation, etc), are told by a corporation to limit their discussion and speculation because they are perceived to know more than the rest of the community. You either sign an NDA with someone that details what they can and cannot say, or you don't tell them sensitive information. Creating a perception that someone has inside knowledge, without providing any actual knowledge, puts a person in a really uncomfortable, unpleasant spot.

Not that I know anyone like this. Just thinking out loud. Speculating.

Talking about speculation, I hope Nokia releases the lead device at least several weeks before the Summit. If they don't, then any agenda involving anything other than the new device (for instance, Quim mentioned a desire to talk about Harmattan) will be lost in the buzz.

An announcement just before or during the Summit would really reduce the value of the event, and it would completely hijack the purpose.

On the other hand, waiting until after the Summit to release the lead device will make for a very dull and lackluster event.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: