View Single Post
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
The reason devices are "crippled" isn't the carrier's fault. The FCC decides which frequencies get used, and since there are no more licenses for 850/1900, the only new bandwidth is in 1700/2100. This is good for TMobileUSA, since their entire network is set up this way, whereas the others that have capacity issues can only increase bandwidth with the nascent frequencies, meaning its devices would be forced to add 1700/2100 for a small coverage area just to ensure compatibility. They avoid that with the plague, because it'd mean their devices would work on TMobile's system, something they avoid at all costs. TMobileUSA is on an isolated frequency, and not many people make devices for it yet, but Nokia is about the only non Android company making one. HTC has some WinMo kit in the door as well.

The real magic button is getting the US to force all GSM radios in new unlocked devices support both carriers via quadband WCDMA. That is what would cause our market to explode. Whether it will happen is another issue. The arrival of LTE may slow that initiative, which I support, but LTE can also negate the need for it altogether, assuming a voice standard for LTE emerges.

That's included in my 10%, btw. The other 90% I reserve for the student loan collectors and my girlfriend when I get myself in trouble.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post: