View Single Post
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I know Blackberry people that have been using this stuff since it was in pager form. I even have a few of those things lying around somewhere. But anyway, the typical Blackberry people I know generally could care less about technology: It's just another business tool. I've seen them switched to WinCE by different employers; they didn't care. And most, if not all, of these devices are corporate issue.

I believe RIM to be vulnerable. I think Apple does too. Apple's desire for business inroads is obviously now focusing more on the mobile component. And open standards continue to put pressure on proprietary back ends which should leave less and less to do in the server space. If a big player were to seriously set their sites on RIM, some damage could be done. Technology wise, it's just Corporate Information Management. Very unsexy, but not very difficult. A big account here, a big account there... A RIM job if you will.
To put it simply, it's going to be similar to trying to unseat microsoft from the enterprise desktops. Obviously their level of penetrations aren't as deep\wide as MS, but the proprietary dependencies they've built among their software\hardware\supporting services and the number of users already dependant on it are sufficiently high enough.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's not going to happen (whether they adopt more open standards or a player bringing open standard product that 'gets' both ends of the markets).. it's just not going to be quick and painless.