View Single Post
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
I've heard many people say that Maemo 6/Harmattan will create a "code break" with the legacy OS builds. From what you're saying, that won't be even remotely true, and probably rare. Is my assumption correct? Will past Maemo apps work on Harmattan? Qt or GTK?
Based on the information I've seen (But only a Nokian would know for sure) their will be some code breakage in GTK (Since Nokia is not developing it for Harmatten) -- but my guess is that QT (Since Nokia [b]is[b] doing the fremantle QT version also) will be probably mostly just a re-compile (unless you do some really off the wall stuff). QT is geared to be cross platform compatible and so QT Fremantle, QT Harmatten and even QT for the S60 platform will probably be close enough that moving between all three platforms will be mostly a cinch if you are using standard QT components.

Their is what I feel the small possibility that they do replace some of the underlying framework; but since they "appear" to be targetting Harmatten in around a year; I would venture that the underlying framework will probably be fairly stable and shouldn't change hugely from fremantle. They might replace the phone library code with the new open source phone library group they are part of, and upgrade the Kernel but otherwise I suspect the changes should be minimal.

I am also assume they will want to keep as much of the work on Fremantle as they can, and focus primairly on the QT interface (rather than hildon/gtk) and getting as many of the apps they have written in GTK moved to QT so that when there release "step 5" they have a solid platform. I suspect fremantle will be the QT "test" environment for Nokia's Harmatten.

These are my "thoughts", and the primary reason why I'm focusing VPC-SDK on QT because Nokia is invested (& investing) heavily in QT (they own it) and making it a platform for all their mid to high range phones. And we have no idea if the next OS after Harmatten will even support Hildon/Gtk apps.

Nathan.