View Single Post
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Bucuresti, Romania
I'm finding myself surrounded by people who are enthusiast to say the least; but they are not driven by Maemo, they are enthusiast about Android and the Jesus phone, despite a significant share of them being Linux developers. I've been trying to preach Maemo and "computer-on-your hand" concept to them, they are more interested to get SSH and VNC working on HTC Hero than contribuing to Maemo.

If you take a quick look on the web, see how many application spring up for Android, despite being just a year old. Maemo is now about 3 years old, and not getting a fraction of the attention Android does.

So my problems are::
- Why can't we get developers (in the "companies" sense) to get to create applications for Maemo ?
- Why isn't this program every's Linux developers wet dream ?
- Why aren't we projecting an interesting image like Android ? I don't want to be "hip and cool" as the iPhone users, but getting significant innovation under Maemo name is critical.
- Why are we so few ? I estimate the size of this community to about 2000 people, about which only 200 are really active.
- What can we do to ensure that the future is Nokia and not HTC ?

Let's find out why we're still sitting in a darkish corner and what do we need to do to get our heads above anyone else !

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ddalex For This Useful Post: