View Single Post
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
I actually like the idea that I am not 'stuck' with one app to do something. I agree that I would like to not have 500 fart apps, but I won't complain about having 5 media players to choose from or 10 im clients.
http://maemo.org/downloads/OS2008/multimedia/
count the media players. I think you'll have 5.

Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
I hate that we talk about the n900 as a niche product, If you consider "smart phone" a niche then sure. BUT software will determine what sub smart device niche this device can fall into.
In my post I referred to the pre-N900 devices. You shouldn't seriously expect any development for the N900, a device that's not even released. (The fact that, in spite of this, we do have an impressive number of applications ready and waiting to be installed by end users shows how far ahaed Maemo actually is.)

Pre-N900 devices certainly were niche products. (And I think a niche product is something positive. The masses aren't too bright, niche products are for those who are able and willing to deal with more power and complexity than the average consumer.)

It will depend on the marketing, but I believe the N900 will not be a mass market product, either. It's still too weak on the phone side, it cannot compete with smartphones like Nokia's own S60 models. Not a lot of customers will replace their current expensive smartphone with an even more expensive device that can do less. The niche may not be quite as small as it was for the N8x0, but it'll probably still be a niche.