View Single Post
Originally Posted by sljonson View Post
Actually having the cellular radio on doesn't drain that much power. The big power drain when data is actually being transmitted: during a phone call or actual data transfer on a data connection. When the cellular radio is in standby mode, it power drain is quite modest. You can tell that from the battery life specs of cell phone. They have two measurements: standby and talk time. And notice the huge different between them.
Sure. But the same is true for Nokia WiFi going back to previous Nokia tablets. Nonethe less, there is some drain, which might make a difference on a multi day wilderness trip, or similar situation. There is no justification for treating wifi and cellular differently in *general* power saving tips.

The reason I said cellualr is a bigger power hog is that wifi transmit power is 100 milliwatts or 10mw and cellular transmit power is over a watt. So minute for minute of "talk" time, cellular uses far more power than wifi.

My main reason for keeping celluar off is that I only use it for outgoing calls. It is amazing how often when I briefly turn it on, a car warany or other scam call comes in or a junk text message.

I am also not looking forward to when it is common for a advertisement to come in just because I'm close to some store.