View Single Post
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
While in the process of moving some packages with the script, I'm wondering what is going to happen when one of them is to be updated by the application manager (or apt-get).

It is going to install its new files in their pristine position, on the root filesystem, overwriting the links, and leaving parts of the old packages on /opt? Shall it get me into trouble? What am I going to do with those remnants on /opt?

Or I better undo optification of packages before I update the packages?

Thanks for your responses.
Hi, I've seen too that an update or uninstall only updates the symlinks and leaves all files in /opt/relocated/.

In order to keep things clean I've done an "undo", then apt-get --purge remove of all the applications originally relocated, then apt-get autoremove (since there were some remanents) and re-installed those apps.

IMHO, people not really familiar with gnu/linux should stay away from this script for many reasons already mentioned plus that if one relocates an app already optified the "undo" will un-optify it. That is, the undo function is not a real undo.

Hope it helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post: