View Single Post
Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Well this I can agree with. The damn AIX admins at my work place persist in making the goddamn home directory 50MB because thats the base amount IBM give it in the install. Spend half my life trying to get more room allocated. - Thank God for smart filesystems. As for Solaris - dont get me started . I guess you are right and it does come down to the individual admin. In the case of the N900 however Nokia have obviously tried to follow the FHS to a greater extent. More than anything I was trying to point out that the issue here is not Nokia "being stupid" but rather the end user not taking responsibility for installing software out of testing/devel.
Remember - just when you think you have made something idiot proof - they go and build a better idiot.
As I understand it the /opt partition was a very last-minute decision which is why I called Nokia stupid. When you only have a 256MB root its rather obvious from the start you are going to need to decide where to install applications, as it sure as hell wont be on root.

Also the way the N900 uses root seems odd. Earlier I got the out of memory message for the first time, because UNINSTALLING software had filled up my root. I mean WTF?

Knowing this is a big issue, why didn't Nokia make it easier to find out what is taking up space on root? Its all bad worse of course by the "not releasing free space" bug which is supposed to be fixed when the holy firmware update finally comes out.

I love my N900, but to say Nokia didn't make some pretty silly mistakes would be an understatement. I mean stripping the NAT related modules out of the kernel for a start when every other mobile device around these days can run as a MiFi with a simple application install. The fact my friend with a 5800XM can do things my N900 cannot is plain crazy. And no I do not mean phone features, Nokia supposedly sacrificed phone functionality for a full Linux NIT, but its missing core components of Linux for it to deliver as promised.

It should have been EASIER on Linux, not require hacking around compiling new kernels. Its unacceptable that a Linux based device requires hacking to get things working that Linux has been able to do out of the box for years. Its near impossible to find a router that ISN'T running on Linux, yet here we are with the most important features missing on the N900.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.