View Single Post
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
Available today, with 3G, basically you're looking at the Viliv S5:

http://www.myviliv.com/usa/product/s5.asp

The UMID M1 is said to be available somewhere in the world with 3G but I've never seen that version in the US.
Hmm pretty good, I would've bought that over the N900 (if I had known about it beforehand) if it had a hardware keyboard built in. But it appears that you could add one on with bluetooth or USB (if your sitting down) so at least you don't have to rely completly on touchscreen typing (it's fine for short things, but for me, anything over a paragraph needs to be done on a hard keyboard).

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
This is the funniest thread on t.m.o. at the moment.

Apart from that:

I used to have tablets. All of them. The 770, the N800, the N810. People said it wasn't cool they needed a phone and carry two devices. (I for my part thought that this was exactly what was cool about them, btw. That you needn't have them with you all the time.)

Now there's the N900 and people tell me it's cool that I don't need to carry two devices anymore, because the N900 is all in one. So while I don't care at all if it is a phone or not, I do expect it to replace my phone. That's the expectation. And as things are, it fails doing so. It fails miserably.

Now I still carry 2 devices with me, a real phone and my N900. The only difference is I can't tether the N900 to my phone any longer, so I need a second SIM card. Costs me €7 extra a month.

Bottom line:
It's meant to replace your current phone as the single device you carry with you. So it better be a good phone... or be a good whatever as long as it does everything the phone it replaces does.
For me it also replaced my phone. But I only used the phone to make or receive phone calls (same thing I can do on all my other computers and n800 thanks to Google Voice now). I wouldn't even bother with a voice plan (and just grab an internet only plan) if it weren't that on a family plan it's saving my gf (and future fiancee in 3 months ) money. Though I do miss the unique ringtone per caller (easily let me identify if it was family, friend, etc.). But seeing as how I route most of my calls through Google Voice it doesn't make a difference to me now since it would always generate the same ringtone if I ever do receive a phone call even if the N900 had that feature. But everyone's coming from different devices and different use cases (some iPhone, some BlackBerries, some Symbian phones, etc..).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-01-07 at 00:06.