View Single Post
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007 @ cape cood
Originally Posted by ZapWizard View Post
Good tips, a diode (1N4004 or similar would keep separation between the USB 5volts and the charger 5volts. It is also a safer way to do this mode if anyone is worried. But also most USB jacks are far more regulated then any wall-wart.
good point!

one might want to be a little more careful using e.g. wall-wart charger where the tip is mini-B (got a usb-charging camera, where they were nice enough to include one of these things as an accessory)
not to mention those car lighter plugs that have a female usb A port (voltage there will be all over the place I bet)

but... a diode may drop up to ~.5V, result could be below the min charging voltage the nokia needs to see. I may give it a try.

-Off topic...
I cannot for the life of me determine how the 770 detects that the cover was put on one way or the other. There are no contacts, micro-switches, and no magnet sensors that I can find.
try finding the magnet in the metal case, check corresponding location in the unit? from what I've read it is supposed to be a magnet switch.