Thread: Wiki
View Single Post
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Hi,

Originally Posted by ChoMar View Post
I have a question...
Why is the Wiki so empty. If there is a thread for a certain topic, it usually links to a Thread here in Talk.
I don't think the wiki is empty. It's certainly hard to organise, and a lot of time gets spent trying to make information searchable & browsable. And the wiki's search engine sucks, for a variety of reasons.

What we are missing is a mass of volunteers who are extracting content from the forums, searching for similar content on the wiki and either creating new articles, adding questions to the FAQ or modifying & improving existing pages.

The editing work to try to have a reasonably consistent style for page names, content style and ensuring that pages aren't orphans that don't get linked to elsewhere in the site is a lot of work, and we're always looking for people who would like to take on a small part of the load. There are a number of drive-by editors, but the Maemowoki Action Group has not really been very active recently - I should try to change that.

Would you like to help out?

Other problems the wiki has, which we have not reall solved - how do we handle Nokia 770/N800/N810 content? We haven't been dumping it, but it's not very well maintained either, and many people are finding older content with documentation that doesn't apply to their device, which is a problem.

i found wonderful howtos here in the Forum. But usually the one one the first page is outdated.
This is also the problem we've had in the wiki when people copy content wholesale from the forum - the content often refers to older hardware and doesn't get updated. Many people don't try to copy or edit the material at all, they just link to a Talk thread (and then someone else has to do the copying/editing work, or just leave the Talk link there - guess which happens most often). The style & quality varies wildly.

Do you have any suggestions on how we might improve the situation?

Why not in the Wiki and keeping it up to date.
Now, one may say "go and do something about it"
One of the issues is that the wiki is seen as "a community resource", not a Nokia managed resource, so few Nokia documentation people contribute to its maintenance. There are a number of official documents now in the wiki, and those get maintained by Nokia, but outside of the wiki.

mounting a Samba share... with cifs... if you look it up in the wiki youll see exactly what i mean...
You're referring to http://wiki.maemo.org/Accessing_Windows_CIFS?

What's wrong with it?

Cheers,
Dave.

The Following User Says Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post: