View Single Post
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
What do you want?

Is there even any sort of consensus? Or should I/we simply ignore those complaints of known malcontents, and focus solely on the remaining few with constructive criticism?

What?
To 'back up' some of my baseless, pointless bashing:

a) A periodical (monthly?) announcement/post of what issues are on the table at this time - AND what progress has been done on issues that were on the table from the last post,

b) A periodical (every six months?) bottom-up issue vote on what the Council should address,

c) Dates and people's names assigned to the issues. No more of the 'Will work on'-status updates,

d) A more active Council blog where it is actually mentioned HOW work is being carried out,

e) The Council to work to get Nokia representatives active on the forum. Maybe not as active as many members here but maybe arrange some "Ask Nokia" forum threads where questions can be asked and they answer them,

f) A static list showing ALL issues/tasks that are currently being worked on, that has been closed out and that are in the pipeline.
All these tasks should have a start-date, resolution date and owner associated with them,

g) Council members to be 'champions' of a set of tasks/issues and go out into the community and show what tasks they own (link it back to the big task list) - and where appropriate ASK community members for help/input, etc to get tasks resolved and/or suggestions for how to escalate it to the ears of Nokia. No one expects 5 people to know how to do everything. Ask.

h) Show failures. If you are not getting to Nokia and getting their attention to look at issue/task 14,17 and 19 say so in the community and table it on the big issue/task list with "Unresolved due to Nokia inactivity" with a date on when communication was last attempted.

i) When you have the "Ask Nokia"-days as mentioned in "e" these tasks should be the first ones to go to them.

j) Set goals/reasons for existence for the Council and if you continue to fail to reach them you need to re-assess how the Council is structured/staffed.

I know some of the above is already attempted but the communication surrounding the attempts have been horrendous and if there is one thing that needs to improve it's that.

I should also have added that "MAKE THINGS EASY TO READ AND FIND". There are so many little lists spread across the site, poorly updated and if they are it's some uber technical phrase that 4% of the community would understand.
In addition to writing "The jimmimagicky is now backended into the fimmickydicky and we are able to issue buggadodoogy" - ALSO write in one column "We're now able to bring up a GUI".

My $0.02

Also, the fact that so far the majority of people (granted, hardly a statistical population at this point) either didn't know that there was a Council or feel that they could do without it should also say something.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-08-11 at 04:37.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post: