View Single Post
Hey all!

Preface

So I finally decided to get the Nokia N900 a month ago, after following any news and updates since it was announced, through all the release delays, through all the initial bug reports, through all the whining about phone functionality, through all the pleas for PR1.2, and through all the progress made by the awesome community up to the point Bluetooth and USB input (+ host mode) was coming close to being implemented, thus (imho) after hooking it to a real monitor making the device a real computer - there I was in the shop doing, what I've been thinking of doing since the release in December.

My decision to buy this phone after such a long time since release mainly came from the fact that the Maemo/N900 community has been and remains very vivid and their support far outclasses anything any large corporation could or would be willing to offer.

The reason I didn't want to wait for "the next great device" was that this is and likely will be the only handset officially running on a Debian derivative, and since I'm running Ubuntu on my workstations interaction and code reuse is very seemless, no need to reinvent, repackage, relearn the same things...

Since I got it last month it has been a blast, every day I had some free time I could find out new stuff and do some tinkering thanks to this device and its community. The main two resources being this forum and the maemo wiki, which really makes it easy for any newbie to really get into it.

So here it is: my Nokia N900 adventure so far. Tinkering around with it has been at least just as fun as playing a computer game so that's the style I'll write it down here, in the hopes people reading this can find one or more tidbits they could use themselves to improve their user experience.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to nephridium For This Useful Post: