View Single Post
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
@Marlon

I'd much rather have an off-line solution. Ovi Maps needs to be online to search (even though being vector based it doesn't need to be, bad design by Nokia). Navit is the only other vector based solution I know of, but I find it's data (OpenStreetMaps) is not very accurate in my area.

I don't think any of the tile based (online) solutions for Maemo support automatic re-routing. So, if I have to be online, I'd like automatic re-routing, poi's, etc. I think nitdroid is the best solution so far.

@droitwichgas -

I don't have the links handy, but Quim Gil (our resident Nokia rep) has implied (to the best of my recollection) that the community supported version of MeeGo likely won't get Nokia/Ovi branded apps. I think he did leave a little wiggle room. But, in my experience, that is just marketing speak for "it won't get them, but it would upset people if we came right out and said it, so we'll leave it a little vague".

Besides, if Nokia made it so that the branded apps worked with the community version of MeeGo (for the N900), it would be easy to make them work with any other version of MeeGo. Then you'd have cheap Chinese knock-offs running Ovi Maps. So they may as well leave them as binary blobs available only to official version of MeeGo, tied to hardware. That would at least cut down of some of the piracy. And don't forget, I think this will include access to Ovi Store as well. You'd be limited to the Extras repo, which might not be bad comparatively, if that's even available.

*edit* I don't think there will ever be much point in running MeeGo on the N900 for the average user. Take modest for instance, I think most people agree it's not the best email app (slow, flaws, no imap-idle, etc). But there aren't any realistic replacements out there (for a normal user). Why? IMHO, because none are tied into the notification system, and you have to leave them up and running (as opposed to in the background like modest). I know I don't want remember to start a program and not accidentally close it, I'd miss the blinking led if I don't here the audio alert, etc.

I believe that MeeGo for the N900 will be very basic, fine perhaps for a power user / developer, but mostly useless for a normal user. Very basic phone and messaging functionality, GPS work and available, but no apps for it, basic camera app, basic browser with no flash support, etc.

Last edited by lemmyslender; 2010-09-21 at 14:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post: