View Single Post
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
I love my N900, but I have been missing the SatNav (Ovi) capabilities of my old Nokia X6 so much of late that I bought a second-hand one and loaded SPB Mobile Shell to make a poor man's N8.

What a culture shock!

As others have highlighted above, Symbian 60 has huge limitations compared to N900, not least being a lack of speed.

That said, Mobile Shell does give the Old Gal a new lease of life and makes the UI hugely enjoyable to use - surprisingly snappy and easy to configure.

The biggest disappointments for me (aside from obvious things like lack of HW keyboard, speed and multitasking) was the return to a small screen size (same as N8 and E7...) and strange as it may sound, a lack of useable and distinctive apps.

Symbian has plenty of games, if that's your thing, and Gravity is pretty good for Social Networking, but Witter eclipses it and shows far more potential, even if it is only for Twitter.

In fact, the biggest thing(s) I'd miss from N900 are the Community-built apps that allow you to take full advantage of the hardware: like using the LED's as a torch by sliding the shutter open, using the cam. focus to snap between open apps, using AbiWord to finish an overdue letter, and BlessN900 to capture the sunset in full HDR detail.

I can't imagine life without these simple, but now essential apps.

N900 is not about Nokia any more; it's not about PR1.3 or even dual booting Meego. It's about what we CAN do RIGHT NOW.

This is a legendary, landmark device and sometimes we forget to enjoy the view from the hill we have climbed.

Last edited by NokTokDaddy; 2010-10-16 at 18:15.