View Single Post
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Oh good, because I eventually run into the same error no matter what. I noticed you announced a "new version" but I assumed v32 was it.

That explains a lot, including why my N900 behaves like it has a bad block.

How do I surface-check it? Every reflash it seems to forget the bad blocks. Can I fsck it? Fill it with random data and the delete the file? Would cat /dev/random > /fillmeup work?

I'm new to Linux. In Windows I can use this method or writing and reading the disk to force a surface scan. OTOH, in windows I need to add -R to chkdsk to do a surface scan.

I'm afraid that if I reflash again and install again I hit the snag again. OTOH, with BackupMenu working (assuming it will) I should be able to revert to a semi-installed and configured OS instead of zero.

Edit: I installed as per first post indications, seems to work and it claims to use tar instead of dd, so I guess I'm right. Read the thread back, so you know fsck fails. As is my case, fsck is quite important to me.

I did a backup am restoring as we speak. Will report back.

Oh, wait, it's done.

Great, it booted up. so it works. Thanks.

Oh, and, two more things.

a) why are suggestions as they are?
b) there's a typo just before restoring (possibly before backup as well). The menu spells "procede", should be "proceed".

Well, back to work. At least I can restore and then try to see what breaks it. At least I can regain a functional phone on the road. Thus far, I needed a PC and the Nokia cable. And a virtual XP.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Last edited by ndi; 2010-10-23 at 17:25.