View Single Post
Ok, so there is unfortunately no working price and description scraping plugin for mBarcode yet (there was sometime in one of the very old versions of mBarcode, but it would sometimes segfault, which is not ideal, so I removed it) I will get back working on this once my N900 comes back to me, but I fear that will be too late for you.

Now don't get me wrong here, mBarcode works well (IMHO), but I'm not sure I'd necessarily want to use it to import many hundreds of items.

For that purpose I was thinking (as I will need to import my many books and fewer DVDs) of either writing a stand alone import app, which just continually scans as quickly as possible (and beeps to give you an indication that a barcode has been matched - this is important) and saves the EAN/ISBN numbers to a database/flat text file that can later be imported and populated (lookups, get item data, prices, etc.)

Before I had mBarcode working I used the zbar command line app + webcam on my Windows box to cat the ISBN barcodes it detected into a text file that I could later import, but even this setup (move book into position, wait for bleep) was awkward and using a barcode wand would make much more sense from a usability point of view (wands are very quick, even quicker than my desktop PC running the image analysis software, and most importantly they don't need good lighting and can be moved around very easily, esp if they are wireless).

So to summarise, I'd get a barcode wand if you have lots of stuff to import; if you don't want to invest, then I'd just use mBarcode to send the scanned ISBN numbers automatically into a text file that you can later parse and get descriptions/prices for.

There's a Python plugin on this page that will add scanned barcodes to a text file: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...arcode&page=70

Remember you'll need to grab an older version of mBarcode (there's one on that page actually, which ought to work), which uses the old plugin API with which the Python plugin works. As I said before, once I get my N900 back I'll fix this issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post: