Thread: Ext4!
View Single Post
Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
Thank you for your elaborate post

Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
I am not commenting the wiki, nor whether there's a need to reformat all partition in N900. It's okay if one wants to format any partition with any fs, as long as they're willingly to take the risk.

I'm just commenting on the suitability of using ext4 fs on flash media. May be I should have stated it explicitly next time before posting.
Ah, that explains a bit. Considering the topic, I assumed you were talking about the N900.

Thank you for sharing the links. However, I found that neither of them include vfat in the benchmark, rather I found one here.

Nevertheless, I'm not going to defend for vfat. I've no sentimental attachment toward vfat, I'm glad to know ext4 is better than vfat.

For the performance, we can always do our own benchmark to convince ourself. There's no need to argue on that. Take it easy. ^^
Same goes here. As you can't use vfat as /home, I saw no value in including it in the benchmark. We weren't talking about the same thing

I'm with you about everyone convincing their selves. In fact, I performed the benchmark to decide for myself which FS to choose (or more precise: which Reiser4 mkfs options were the best), but I thought I could post a summary anyway as it might be of use to other people. No need to start a religious (filesystem) war indeed; I hoped to make that point by stating in the wiki that "there is no 'one size fits all' type of filesystem"

Again I'm not talking about reformatting NAND, I'm just talking about ext4 on flash media. BTW, NAND in N900 is formatted in UBIFS, which does not work on top block device, but still it's a file-system anyway.

UBI itself is a wear-leveling subsystem but I'm not referring to that in my point. Without wear-leveling, ext4 is not the best choice for flash media. Ext4 does not handle wear-leveling in its original design, but flash manufacturers consider including wear-leveling in hardware so the problem would be solved in the future.

Just for your information.
I mixed up some terms by stating NAND everywhere in my posts instead of eMMC. Of course ext4, or any 'regular' FS for that matter, can't be used on a raw flash device like the NAND. I've just corrected the name of the wiki page.

Last edited by iDont; 2011-04-10 at 17:58. Reason: Updated post with wiki name change

The Following User Says Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post: