View Single Post
Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by aflegg
Although I'd say the 770 *doesn't* ignore power users (can get root, lots of Linuxy open goodness for people who know what they're doing). Mike's problem, if I'm so bold as to describe it, is he wants the things the power users can do without being a power user - which is fine, but it'll take time for the power users to produce pretty GUI frontends to things like changing the boot screen, enabling USB host mode on demand, setting up swap etc.
Exactly. Mike really seems (seemed?) to try and push the envelope for what the device was intended to be. Whether he was pushing around large amounts of text in what is a glorified notepad app or opening up several apps simultaneously and getting mad when he ran out of memory, it all seemed to fuel a backlash at the community and Nokia.

As you've mentioned, this is an early device with real bugs and limitations. It's wonderful to be able to try new things and tinker under the hood (Which is one of my favorite things about the device), but I think everyone needs to realize that things will get better, and version 1 of a Palm Pilot or Pocket PC was just as riddled with bugs and not nearly as powerful, with such great potential. Primary use cases aside, this can be a really great platform for a variety of tasks beyond a "web tablet", if the community doesn't kill it first

I look forward to the 2006 firmware release, and hopefully things will stabilize a bit both with the OS as well as the applications that are being ported over. It's exciting to see things like Gnumeric, Rhythmbox, FBReader, etc. being ported but it's a little frustrating to run into issues just the same. Kudos to everyone who has spent time turning in bug reports and patches!

Larry