View Single Post
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
A short update on everyday use of a pinephone after almost a month since my N900 stopped working.
For the most part it works nearly as well as my N900, and I am surprised a bit how much waiting for a fully UI optimized stable audio book app(Cozy) was holding up my adoption of the pinephone.
In some ways far better, I am getting used to being able to access my email and other websites again after many years of mostly useless web browser despite the many attempts by the community to restore function.
I miss the always dark appearance of most Maemo5 apps but that is not a minor issue.
I am currently trying to solve the way to get bluetooth access point working(PAN) as we have with the N900 I am stuck at getting Mobian to show the NAP/PAN UUID. This is in my opinion a must-have replacement for wifi hotspot which is implemented, I need PAN-internet access both for mobile work and on the train but especially during a power outage where WiFi uses too much power.
I love having whole disk encryption at bootup.
There is still no great solution to video playback though Kodi is nearly there with the Estouchy skin installed thouvh that skin seems to crash some streaming plugins; VLC's UI is not ready for the scaling, and the included Gnome Totem player has always had issues playing most video formats/codecs.
I have GPS and navigation working, there are several OSM apps which allow downloading local area for offline use, GPS device access still requires setup via CLI.
Battery life is way better than 6 months ago but still could see improvement especially when playing video.
The bluetooth audio on speakers, headphones, and cars seems to be working well for the most part, occasionally there is an error where I need to un-pair and re-pair as the phone tries to use it's internal speaker.
after nearly a decade using a N900 it is nice to be able to use standard CITA headphones without an adapter.
At this point I would call the pinephone 70% as functional as Ubuntu on a laptop or LineageOS with Microg on a phone/tablet.
The app repos (both deb and flatpak) are getting populated with the must have services.
I am still waiting for UI optimized crytpo wallets, secure IM services (Tox and Briar) either via libpurple or stand alone; remote hardware interaction such as Pebble watch support, heart rate monitor, and OBT car computer readers; better battery life, more reliable OS(no more in-my-pocket kernel panic shutdowns); maybe a manga reader and some way to spoof access to my Librarie's overdrive book and audiobook service; I will probably tink of more later.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post: