View Single Post
Posts: 88 | Thanked: 411 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ southern Italy
Originally Posted by shady View Post
i would LOVE to build my own device, somehow i would like for it to be like building a PC, the problem is that the enclosure and size of the device could be prohibitive, still if i could make the components or at least source them accordingly, i would make this for us; the forgotten:

QWERTY: Dust/Grease Resistant Keys
SEAL DEVICE exactly like high end DSLR's
TI OMAP44xx / Intel Medfield (Pewell)
PowerVR SGX554MP4
2xTHGBM2T0DBFBAIF (Toshiba 128GB NAND, 256GB Total Internal)
2GB RAM (not shared & DDR3)
HDMI-TypeD (able to stream audio, up to and including DSD)
microUSB 3.0
MicroSHXC UHS-1
1xCDCE949 TI Programmable Clock Synthesizer
TLV320DAC3100 32bit DAC (high end isolated audio circuit, LOW noise filter, 4 outputs 1 per amp)
4xOPA637SM or comparable (4ch bal. dependent on output (spdif) configuration (L(+/-) R(+/-)))
Combination LINE/SPDIF out (NOT a headphone out)
NATIVE Codec Support: AVI, WMV, ASF, MP4, MKV, MPG, DAT, TS, TP, TRP, 3GP, DivX, Xvid, H.264, WMV, 7/8/9, MPEG 1, MP3, WMA, OGG, PCM and FLAC
NO POST CONVERSION
WiFi-B.G.N
4.0" CBD OLED 1268*720@24bit screen ~2ms
10.1MPx Back Illuminated (720p@120fps: able to be displayed natively on the device)
2100mAh Battery
GSM 850/900/1800/1900
HSDPA 850/900/1700/1900/2100
HSPA+ 42Mbps
Compass/Magnetometer, 6xGyro, Accelerometer, GPS/AGPS, FM Transmitter
Simultaneous bit-stream across ALL digital outputs, user configurable.
MeeGo.Harm 1.1 or MeeGo 1.2

and yes, there are a BUNCH of things missing, but this is just a wish list.

One of the most nice features of this forum is the Talking Bug, that is, the Talking Big of some users.

I'm a happy N900 user for 12+ months now, and my next phone will be an N900 (not only because I don't want to familiarize with a new GUI every time I buy a phone).

QWERTY: I did never have problems. What do you mean by "dust/grease resistant"? I would have my entire home furniture to be dust/grease resistant.

SEAL DEVICE: you seem to ignore that blocking even the last bit of airflow eases overheating.

OMAP44xx or MEDFIELD: yes, a bit of extra computing power is always welcome. But it has a price (money and battery and possible hardware/software problems). Did you overclock your N900, didn't you? What about 1150MHz vs 600MHz? Did the "almost doubling" double your "user experience"?

SGX554MP4: please, first let's talk about drivers and usage, then let's talk about GPUs. 99% of software ignores 2D/3D acceleration.

128-256Gb: I stored my entire MP3 collection on the N900 and still have some gigabytes for placing movies and anime (which I delete after watching: do I actually need already-seen movies on my phone every day?)

HDMI, DACs, SPDIF: how many times in a day you *need* video output capabilities from the N900?

MicroUSB 3.0: how many times in a day you *need* USB3 peripherals?

MicroSHXC UHS-1: how many N900 owners bought a microSD to enlarge those 32Gb internal flash?

Wifi-N, HSPA+: what is the medium file size that you transfer on your N900 (except for movies)?

Screen resolution: did you ever feel that 800 horizontal pixels are way too little? Are you able to distinguish between two consecutive pixels?

Stop, stop, stop.

The only problem with the N900 is that the 256Mb RAM are good only until you don't install memory-hungry software.

Most people will like a better battery. Not surprisingly, I am very happy with the standard battery. How much time are you far from an USB port? In my everyday life -work or holiday- I'm never far from an USB port or USB charger more than a few hours.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alfmar For This Useful Post: