View Single Post
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
The problem seems to start in a misconception of what a maemo fremantle device is and how it works

>> it's not a phone, it's a palmtop << or somesuch the original Nokia advertisment which is pretty much to the point.

N900 is a SingleBoardComputer like raspberry pi or a zillion others, and runs a pretty standard linux. there's no "ROM" to "dump ", but there's for example ssh-server that offers access with root permissions to shell and vie sftp for data transfer from (and usually to) literally every storage existing on the device. You however WILL have to install ssh-server for that - I don't see where from that requirement to >>Most important thing is that I don't install anything to the device<< arises, what's wrong with installing ssh-server for example? You could access it even from a windows PC with putty or the like

cheers
jOERG
Hi, in either case I just trying to extract firmware via Meamo-ish ways, else, I need something more generic that could work for any Linux distro... Since I have no information about the OS itself, I don't want to try installing anything as, if it is incompatible (most likely), it might risk bricking the device.

Edit: So, this ssh-server would be fine on any Linux-based system? And with ftp transfer can I make an entire clone/"dump ROM" of its flash drive (or whatever it has) that can be flashed back to it if needed?

Last edited by Mivas_Greece; 2021-10-11 at 07:15.