View Single Post
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by chill View Post
I plugged the N900 into a copier/scanner machine, wanting to use it as the medium to save a scan. After unplugging (the copier did not prompt me to eject the medium), it looks like everything in MyDocs was destroyed: all the photos in DCIM, Images, my documents, nothing is there anymore.
Don't panic, don't do anything rash. MyDocs might not have gotten remounted by the phone if the scanner wasn't playing nice. If that happened, you'll just see what's in an Actual MyDocs directory -- which could have stuff that got saved there when MyDocs was mounted by another host some other time -- rather than the partition that's usually mounted over it. It'll look like everything's gone when it isn't. Try remounting MyDocs or just restart the N900.

If the worst happens as pichlo hypothesizes, you can use photorec and testdisk on the dd copy of the partition. You can probably even use "ddrescue" instead of "dd" if you've got a Linux desktop handy, it's more robust and can skip over (and even retry) bad blocks.

But first, don't panic.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post: