View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Nice tutorial!

Just one suggestion:
If you have a pre/postinst script that changes files that do not belong to your package, please also include a pre/postrm script that (optionally) restores their original condition!

I know this can be tricky at times, e.g. when two packages alter the same file but aren't installed/removed in a LIFO manner. But one should at least try by making a simple backup of the files one found during the installation or (maybe) better reversing the sed command.

Not taking care of what happens after your packages are removed usually results in a mess and in my opinion this is one of Maemo's main problems.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
sed '
/^root ALL = (ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL$/ d
/^user ALL = (ALL) PASSWD: ALL$/ d
6 i user = NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/gainroot
' /etc/sudoers.d/01sudo
update-sudoers
That should do it. Run as root manually or include in your package as the prerm/postrm script. I think that's better/cleaner than leaving a backup file lying around, which may be out of date by the time you remove the package. This should just remove the two exact-match lines the original file had added with my example script, and add the original gainroot-allowing line back in, at the same spot where it originally was (unless new lines were added since then to the start of the file).

As for why I didn't originally include this: In general, I completely agree with you. For this particular example, however, my goal was to get myself root - I don't intend on ever taking this root-ness away from myself, and the .deb package is, in this case, just a means to an end - in my mind it's a one-off-manual-tweak-in-the-form-of-a-package, not a true package. And tbh in my mind this is like applying a bugfix to a system package.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: