View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
HAM uses /etc/sudoers.d/hildon-application-manager.sudoers, which allows passwordless sudo for apt-worker (as well as for hildon-application-manager-util to handle repositories).

So no setuid here. If you force a password then I suppose HAM will just stop working because sudo will ask for a password without having a terminal for I/O. I suppose we could install some sort of graphical sudo ("gksudo" or whatever) and patch HAM to use it instead of "sudo apt-worker"..
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Yup. Alternatively, "one" could implement a drop-in replacement for sudo which offers a graphical front-end if X is running. I would even go as far as configuring it with a different /etc/sudoers (like /etc/sudoers.mine) to prevent packages randomly adding themselves without asking.

I know, this is Maemo, which is like the wild west ..
.. but you know, this is Maemo, the user must have absolute control over the system.
Instead of patching HAM to call another program, or replacing sudo, I think it's better if we just install a more proper sudo that has askpass support, then have something in the desktop initialization set the SUDO_ASKPASS environment variable. Admittedly, I think the invokers may need to invoke sudo with the '-A' flag: I'm not sure if sudo has pty detection built-in to know when to assume it needs to run an askpass program, which would allow it to do so without being called with the -A flag. But if the '-A' flag is required, then patching of HAM, etc, would be required too.

Incidentally, the latest GCC 4.6 and dependencies in the maemo repos + CSSU-Testing (which recently updated libc6 a little) lets us build a perfectly working sudo from the latest stable branch with askpass support, and we have at least one working askpass implementation ssh-askpass in the repos (though a properly hildon-ized askpass UI would be much nicer). (I also have a shell-script based askpass that pops open a terminal to get the password, but that one uses a named pipe to move the password between the launching script and the one running in the launched terminal, and I'm not confident it's secure enough (or ever could be, given the limitations of that approach).)

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2015-01-23 at 06:42.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: