View Single Post
I think I would carefully desolder whole port (to not damage pads), and replace it with another one, doing it like joerg_rw described some posts ago - basically, resembling design of audio port. Instead of soldering new port to PCB directly, You solder it via wires (may be short or longer ones, depending on preferences), then, You encapsulate port in epoxy putty, taking care to *not* allow it to adhere to PCB (by applying some silicone paste or oil to parts, that may come into touch with epoxy - except USB port itself, of course), case, or any other element - you just want epoxy to get shape fitting into surroundings (case etc), so it's held into place, but doesn't apply *any* forces into PCB.

Such a design is probably the best thing one can achieve - virtually indestructible, and even if, only cables would be damaged, leaving PCB pads intact. In case of another strange damage of USB port, replacing is much more hassle-free - You solder new one to remaining wires, and apply epoxy "shapeshifting" again.

It may sound complicated at the beginning, but idea is quite easy, and I strongly recommend doing so, judging by your circumstances.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!