View Single Post
Posts: 16 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Suffolk
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I would like to add, that this sensor detects white/black even in absolute darkness (probably uses something out of visible light wavelength - IR?), and of course mattkawa is right, that no magnet is involved in camera-slide state detection.

I suspect that Your sensor is damaged, and only some kernel hack (enabling sysfs entry?) could allow to "cheat" system. Of course, I can be wrong.

/Estel

// Edit

woody is probably right - magnet doesn't matter in slide open/slide closed detection, yet, it may shut off completely whole check. I have magnet glued for good on appropriate sensor on N900 side, to have possibility of removing cover without disabling microSD (very important, if You use swap on microSD, hah!), so I could just not remember about that.
Hmmmm....as I said, with my back cover completely removed, the camera app (or 'lens open app menu') does nothing. However, if I then cover ONLY the camera sensor with something white (still with the back cover removed), the lens menu comes up, the camera activates & the lens cover icon appears. Take the white cover away & all act like I've closed the lens cover, eg. acts correctly.
The above no doubt confirms there is no other activation for the camera (or alternative app) than the white over the camera sensor, does no one agree?