View Single Post
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by glabifrons View Post
T-mobile? Gawd, I hope not!
They are pathological about hobbling everything!

The HipTop/SideKick started out a nice device with a strong developer network... they locked it down so you had to be a published developer to get a key to install software that they didn't have in their "store"... which absolutely blows. There were a ton of apps on the (former) SideKick Developer Network site that I wanted, and I didn't care if they were "beta" or not. In case it doesn't stand out... if you can't test the app on your device, you can't release it, so when they changed the rules for becoming a developer, they essentially shut any new devs out.

Now look at what they did with the G1... which I would absolutely love to have, but they're locking down a device that you're not supposed to be able to lock down.
I was thinking about paying full retail for one and switching to AT&T, but I've read that they even hobbled the radio so you can't use the G1 on AT&T's frequencies! (I sincerely hope what I read was bull)
In case you're wondering... I like the G1's keyboard. None of the other Androids have anything close. Heck, I'd rank that keyboard way above the one on the N900 (though I think I'd prefer the Nokia if the price were more realistic).

I'm afraid of what they'll do to this thing when they get their greedy mits on it.

Disclosure: I've owned the SideKick (1) Color and SideKick 2 for about 6 years, and if it weren't for T-Mobile, I would probably have bought the SK3 when it came out.
They really do have a F*(# the customer attitude.

(if you want specifics, I can write a book)
Sign-up for a new line. Receive subsidized (reduced cost) device. Cancel service within the initial grace period because of "poor signal" or "bad coverage" in the areas you intend to use it. Unlock device. Rock on.

I think the whole locking a device to the service provider initially was a way to discourage ^that behavior.

I'm sure that technicly your supposed to box up your used device and ship it back and wait 90 days for a refund but... what are they going to do with a used device when they recieve it back 30 days after it was first released?
Something tells me they either don't or can't make much effort to retrieve a device that was not returned and just cut their losses with what money that was paid for the dang thing at signing. Why else would they bother locking down the thing in the first place?