View Single Post
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by Mivas_Greece View Post
Hi! Thanks for the link, there are various resources from what I see, including a flasher. However, I am not interested in any firmware files, but in safely extracting flashable (anything I can flash it back if I brick it) firmware files from the device without bricking it. ...

Those firmware files allow you to flash a fresh* install onto your device, it's all you need really.
Aside from hardware failures (especially the USB port, about which search the forum/wiki), this device is unbrickable if you have the flasher and the firmware.

The wiki** has a great guide here (and it even mentions Windows 7 so your other issue might be answered there).

For backing up existing installs the excellent BackupMenu will let you create images of your RootFS onto your MyDocs partition or SD Card.

*Ideally you'll want to start work of a fresh install to be certain there's nothing malicious on there from a previous owner.

**n900 users are so fortunate to have such a comprehensive wiki and this forum has nearly every question you could ask about it answered 5 times over .
I highly recommend you read through the beginner and power user topics on the wiki

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post: