View Single Post
I have yet to take off the screen cover that the N900 came with. All I did was take the tag off. I'm starting to realize how much of a good that that step was. I'll eventually get a proper screen protector, but this will do for now.

Anyway, I decided to see if any of the packages have updates today, and it looks like the Kernel-power indeed had an upgrade today! Not bad!

Browsing through other apps, I noticed that Sixad is available for download. Before, I was questioning why anyone would want to play an emulator on this phone, considering the keyboard wouldn't make for a good controller. Then I found this. I believe since Linux 3.2, PS3 controllers work out-of-the-box, but this will definitely do. I haven't tried it yet, but I will. Hopefully, it'll work better than it does on Android (have to plug the PS3 controller into the USB-OTG cable in order to sync it with the phone every time the phone's asleep).

I'm also installing Qalendar, as per recommendation. I saw the wiki page before, but I didn't bother at the time. I am now. I like it so far. However, I just want to know if there's a way to sync up with an online calendar. That's the primary feature I'd like to have.

The more I'm going under-the-skin of Maemo, the more curious I become as to what it would be like running a different OS on the N900. I won't try it yet on the grounds that I need it for communication and I can't risk bricking it, but I still wonder. I could imagine running Debian Jessie with systemd+Debian's stable 3.2 kernel, but the damned RAM is a problem. I'm more likely to run the Thumb kernel than Debian right now. Perhaps that'll change with the Neo900?

Speaking of, can someone convince me to take the plunge and enable the Thumb repos? I'd like to, but the wiki page did a good job in scaring me away from it.

One thing the wiki pages aren't scaring me from, however, is overclocking. I'm aware that doing that might have an effect on the device's lifetime, but I don't care. I'm tired of the jitters and slow transitions. Overclocking is, so far, really helping with that. I can definitely tell the difference. All I really did was set the minimum to 250MHz and max to 900MHz. It's really helping move the UI along.

Speaking of the UI, I find it to be quite good. I like the fact that there's always a button to go to overview (I should get around to making a keyboard shortcut for that), kinda like in GNOME. Also, my apps are no longer all over the place.

So far, it's starting to look like I just got a steal on functionality that I'd normally have to pay a premium for. This phone cost me $100+shipping, and I already have as much functionality as a Galaxy S4. I think the next time I post, It'll be about the browsers and a comparison to a relatively recent device.