View Single Post
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
That has nothing to do with one another really. A truly open platform can have a user friendly framework on top of it to cater to non technical users and an appstore to create an app marketplace too while giving free access to its underlying frameworks for those who need that.

I don't get this. What if your car mechanic\oven repairmen\plumber tells you to start liking his craft, which you have no interest whatsoever toward?

Heh, that's the same old song. Unless there's a better solution than DRM, then that's what the e-commerce crowd will have to make do with for the time being. The idealists may bicker all day long and give out 1001 "what ifs...", but as long as there's no better DRM implementation, then that's what's going to be used by 'the industry'. (And the 'underground scene' will go on too).
I don't mean that everybody has to use command-line, root, over-clocking, Easy Debian, Ubuntu, etc.

I just mean that nobody should be glad to limit itself:
1. In choice of apps - to one store;
2. in frequency band - to subset of device capabilities;
3. in bugs fixing - to vendor updates,
etc.

I don't understand how DRM is related to N900. Could you explain it, please?

I just see that Nokia wanted people to use Ovi Store (put shortcut to it into launcher), but people find and use other repositories; Nokia crippled apt-get, and people use aptitude when needed; Nokia limited FM accordingly to country, and developers unlocked it (and potentially usage of external antenna); Nokia has, thankfully, open-source hildon-desktop, and people use the most recent (better than PR1.3) version of it, sometimes modified; etc.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
3. Vendor update should still be the #1 channel for bug fixes. This ties in to their warranty and chain of accountability. It's even more absurd if you have to rely to 3rd party when the vendor is underperforming.
I just mean that in this particular case with open-source programs vendor doesn't bother itself to compile the most recent version of code so others compile and modify it as they want.

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2010-11-24 at 20:31.