View Single Post
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
I don't mean that everybody has to use command-line, root, over-clocking, Easy Debian, Ubuntu, etc.

I just mean that nobody should be glad to limit itself:
1. In choice of apps - to one store;
2. in frequency band - to subset of device capabilities;
3. in bugs fixing - to vendor updates,
etc.
1. They will probably just care about 'what are available?' and 'how much?' at this point.
2. Frequency band? You mean for FM radio? What does that have to do with smartphones/mobile computers though...
3. Vendor update should still be the #1 channel for bug fixes. This ties in to their warranty and chain of accountability. It's even more absurd if you have to rely to 3rd party when the vendor is underperforming.

I don't understand how DRM is related to N900. Could you explain it, please?
I misunderstood your point above.

I just see that Nokia wanted people to use Ovi Store (put shortcut to it into launcher), but people find and use other repositories; Nokia crippled apt-get, and people use aptitude when needed; Nokia limited FM accordingly to country, and developers unlocked it (and potentially usage of external antenna); Nokia has, thankfully, open-source hildon-desktop, and people use the most recent (better than PR1.3) version of it, sometimes modified; etc.
Sure, I get that the n900 is a good device in its own way; but it's a very limited market and definitely not for general consumption. You can't expect Joe Public to appreciate n900 the same way we do and get mad if they don't.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post: