View Single Post
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Am I? I thought I was asking pretty obvious question to eliminate assumptions!
And, for some strange reason, I am still not getting a straightforward answer

But OK, let's make assumptions explicit.
Which is not helpful, because some of these assumptions seem to be wrong ones, hence the whole diagram does not make much sense to me.

Look, all these things are publicly documented: Tools, typical workflows, and most importantly, how people practically use it. Plus what the package-resolver (e.g. libzypp) does on your device.
RTFMs and take look at this stuff, in the web (Openrepos.net, Git{hub|lab}.com) and on your device in practice.

See, it is the same here, once again:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
My original question was, "isn't Openrepos clever enough to offer multiple versions and let your device pick the one matching your setup?"
The answer is "Yes".
Structurally an concatenation of two questions (here: per "and", instead of "or"), both spiced with wrong assumptions. Negating one of the concatenated questions makes it hard to correctly deduct the overall answer to the question logically, and almost impossible to decode this answer.
Thus this answer very likely (again) does not provide what you wanted to know.

Q1, "isn't Openrepos clever enough to offer multiple versions": Yes, it is not!
- What do you mean to address with "Openrepos": The site <openrepos.net> (spacial), the Openrepos-webfrontend (technical), something else?
- An RPM-repository (maybe you meant that, i.e. "something else" above) is not "clever", it is a directory (tree) published via http(s). It "offers" whatever you put into these directories.

Q2, "let your device pick the one matching your setup?": Yes, dependency resolution is performed by the package resolver locally; AFAIK (at least for rpm, libzypp, dpkg and any tools based on them, as pkcon, zypper, yum, apt etc.) always and solely.

P.S.: Following the three links I provided in my original reply to your original question, might be helpful for you.

P.P.S.:IMO, we shall end this sub-thread here, it is off-topic by far (Q&A for packaging basics).

Last edited by olf; 2020-11-25 at 18:37.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post: