View Single Post
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Having used the Z10 (with 10.2, 10.3 and 10.3.1), I have to say that the Android app support is a little worse than on SailfishOS (and I have seen more people saying that). I have not come across an app that wouldn't work on Jolla (that doesn't mean there aren't such), but on BB10 some apps don't work, some apps require a specific older version (Skype), some break through updates (like our local news app iDnes.cz). Like on Jolla, you can install Google Services on Blackberry 10, but I didn't try it on either one.

That being said, the app support is not bad - even though it sometimes lacks in compatibility, it makes up for it by additional features: when you install an Android app, the .apk is checked against BB server for known malware (probably by comparing the checksum of the .apk).
You can also set different notifications for different Android apps, which is quite useful.

I would disagree about the virtual keyboard - it is indeed nice, but it seriously lacks tactile feedback. You need to constantly look on the screen to know if you pressed the right (or any) key. If it had tactile feedback, it would indeed be among top keyboards on the market.
This obviously won't apply to BB Classic

Another problem with Z10 is the battery, but it should be much better on the (bigger) Z30.

The system overall is very powerful, but I would like to see some serious design changes for better usability. Current problems include:
  • three menus in an app - one behind an icon in the right bottom corner, one behind an icon in the left bottom corner and a 'swipe down menu' - it is often unclear where to search for an option
  • there's a 'swipe down' menu in some apps, but with no indication whatsoever. it's a hit and miss thing
  • "drag the page to go back" works in 90% of cases, but on those 10%, is looks like the developers just forgot to implement it (like in some settings in the Hub)

I'm sure I forgot about many other things and there are of course many very nice things:
  • menus either don't start from the top or can be dragged down, so you don't have to stretch your hand
  • advanced interaction options (like the phone waking up when picked up from a desk)
  • detailed notification settings (with customizable LED colors in 10.3.1)

I remember a blog post from a Maemo/MeeGo community member when BB10 came out that summarized all the design nonsense quite well (comparing it to Harmattan), but I can't find it anymore.

EDIT:
One interesting thing about BB10 is the Peak gesture, to quickly open the Hub from any app. While I learned to use it almost instantly, regular phone users just can't get the grip (and therefore don't use at all) even after weeks of having the phone. At least in my experience.

Last edited by nodevel; 2014-12-16 at 22:43.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post: