what do you mean legitmate HSID? That is always whatever you named your device on setup of the device. That way if you have several devices you can specify which to sync to. Not all apps require a device ID.

I have yet to figure out how to convince BeCrossword of the ID on the version running in GVM...not sure if I even will be able since I have a Sony Clie and the closest the VM comes is a T/X...

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
what do you mean legitmate HSID?
I don't recall if HSID is generated (or if I was prompted) when I first set up Garnet VM. I'm working under the assumption that it doesn't (until you try to hotsync in garnet).

Obviously, many commercially bought apps require the ID to generate the unlock/registration code. I've bought one app so far--since I've assumed that I don't actually have an ID in garnet, I've been leaving the "HotSync ID" blank on the purchase screen. For the particular app that I purchased, it still generated an unlock code for me and I've been able to use the app without incident. My general question is whether I am pushing my luck by purchasing apps in this manner.

hmmmm...I really am not sure. I have been sort of thinking the same thing. As in since there are zero xword apps for Maemo as of today. Unless of course, I want to run KDE off a card, very doable. And I might partition a SDHC card just for that and maybe some office type apps.

But I really do not know anymore then you about buying aps which are locked to a device. I have done a bit of searching on the topic but only half hearted. I am leaning toward caution as while taking individually the apps are not too expensive, though some can get pretty expensive. But when you consider you are spending cash on what is a platform that has shown almost no movement in over a year now, well, to me it makes me think long and hard am I just burning $20-bills.

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Central Illinois
Perhaps this question has already been answered, but here's my experience. I had purchased BeCrossword for my Palm TX a while ago and the registration process asked for the HotSyncID. Naturally, I gave it and received a license code that is tied to that HotSyncID. When I installed BeCrossword on GVM, I used the command line startup method to set my HotsyncID appropriately. Then I registered BeCrossword in GVM without any problems.

For the record, I created a .desktop file to allow me to launch GVM into favorite application (Beyond Contacts) with my HotSyncID. The file is "/usr/share/applications/hildon/beyondcontacts.desktop", but really I could have named it anything. The contents of the file are:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.1
Type=Application
Name=Beyond Contacts
Exec=/usr/bin/gvm/gvm --bgcolor=0x0000,0x0000,0x0000 --rotated=no --dynheap=4096 --sound=no --hotsyncid="MyNameHere:19523" -a DTOD
Icon=garnet-vm
I found my hotsyncid on my Palm TX via the "shortcut-dot-dot-4" trick, and the application "creator" code (DTOD for Beyond Contacts) by using FileZ. If you wanted to start BeCrossword, you'd use the creator code "BeCW".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terrencegf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Originally Posted by terrencegf View Post
Perhaps this question has already been answered, but here's my experience. I had purchased BeCrossword for my Palm TX a while ago and the registration process asked for the HotSyncID. Naturally, I gave it and received a license code that is tied to that HotSyncID. When I installed BeCrossword on GVM, I used the command line startup method to set my HotsyncID appropriately. Then I registered BeCrossword in GVM without any problems.

For the record, I created a .desktop file to allow me to launch GVM into favorite application (Beyond Contacts) with my HotSyncID. The file is "/usr/share/applications/hildon/beyondcontacts.desktop", but really I could have named it anything. The contents of the file are:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.1
Type=Application
Name=Beyond Contacts
Exec=/usr/bin/gvm/gvm --bgcolor=0x0000,0x0000,0x0000 --rotated=no --dynheap=4096 --sound=no --hotsyncid="MyNameHere:19523" -a DTOD
Icon=garnet-vm
I found my hotsyncid on my Palm TX via the "shortcut-dot-dot-4" trick, and the application "creator" code (DTOD for Beyond Contacts) by using FileZ. If you wanted to start BeCrossword, you'd use the creator code "BeCW".
For those a bit intimidated by the post terrencegf links to, here's what you do to get your becrossword registration recognized by gvm on the tablet.

First, purchase becrossword from pocketgear.com. When it asks for your hotsync id, enter something you'll remember. Download the becrossword zip file on your computer or tablet, unzip, and then move unzipped folder to your tablet.

Open the GVM launcher on the tablet, and install the becrossword prc file.

Once it installs correctly, DON'T launch it. Close the launcher and open xterm.

In exterm, enter:

Code:
$ cd /usr/bin/gvm
$ ./gvm --hotsyncid=[your hotsync id]
This will launch gvm directly, and will assign it your hotsync id while its at it. Now you can touch the home icon in the bottom left corner of the gvm screen, and then open becrossword. Then navigate to the help menu within becrossword, choose, "Enter registration code." Enter the code you got from pocketgear.com, using the keyboard that pops up when you tap the arced "abc" in the bottom left corner. This should get you all registered.

You can from now on launch becrossword using the normal gvm launcher.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Phoenix
Xword is available for N8X0 - works great! NO need for Garnet VM. Works w/ .puz files i.e NY Times.

Look in the app manager.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post
Xword is available for N8X0 - works great! NO need for Garnet VM. Works w/ .puz files i.e NY Times.

Look in the app manager.
Yes, but it's not as responsive, and lacks handwriting support. I'm loving becrossword via GVM!

Tags
garnet, palm