Active Topics

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Interesting, I have to check out Maemo Mapper again. I never liked it because it used rastor maps. Vector maps, imo, are much better, because of speed and size, so I use roadmap on the tablets (I can download all of OpenStreet's California on my memory card for example)

I want to correct a few of the things above. What I mean is that its "easier" to use out of the box, with the nice route finder, etc. Obviously Maemo Mapper is a lot more powerful, but harder to use. For example you can't just type in an address and have it give you directions. Zoom, while using hardware keys, does not give the nice box thing in the palm version. There is no traffic overlay. This is all out of the box.

But, yea, there is auto download, and I never knew about that double pixel mode, so my bad.

And about the legality, I was referring to sgosnell when he said the same maps are on the tablet and the palm emulator.

Would really love Google releasing a version of maps for maemo. Maybe with the new Android SDK, someone will be able to make the android maps work with the GPS on the tablets. That would be ok i guess.

I use the palm version for quick POI access. MM tends to be clunky w/ POI. With the specific categories. Plus managing them or adding them is a pain. I've only been able to use the default categories or load them w/ poi loader.

One big wish i have for maemo mapper though is custom routes. I haven't been able to get a good one. Say avoid 95 and some other road. Google Maps lets you drag the routes around. I've tried importing that w/ gmap to gpx but it never works properly.

edit: oh, also it seems that maemo mapper is pickier about origin and destination names. i usually have to adjust my queries.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
One big wish i have for maemo mapper though is custom routes. I haven't been able to get a good one. Say avoid 95 and some other road. Google Maps lets you drag the routes around. I've tried importing that w/ gmap to gpx but it never works properly.
Well, I've had no problem with gmap2gpx (I assume that's what you're using); I've even done this on the tablet in a pinch, though google maps is a little JS intensive, so the dragging's not easy.

edit: oh, also it seems that maemo mapper is pickier about origin and destination names. i usually have to adjust my queries.
Definitely; mainly I don't use the download through mm, unless I need a route from current position.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
yeah i'm using that. how do u get a route w/ direction points though? whenever i try, even after messing with the track, points, route, etc. i either get the route w/ turning points but it results in straight lines. or i get a route that follows the road but no navigation points.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Google puts the maps on the web, and I have no qualms about using them. YMMV. I do find that I prefer the VE hybrid maps, though, and haven't used Google maps in awhile. I only use Maemo Mapper for the photos, just to see the actual area I'm driving through. I have two other devices that give me real-time driving directions using vector maps, so MM is just another luxury that I use now and then. I have Google Maps on my Palm, with some downloaded maps, for emergency use if I have nothing else, because my Palm is almost always with me. If I have my N800, I use that, because MM is much better, and I think just as easy to use. GM on a Palm is a last resort. For driving directions I have a standalone GPS unit, which I finally decided was the way to go. I still have Mapopolis on my Palm, and like it a lot, but the maps are getting old and Mapopolis has gone out of business.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
yeah i'm using that. how do u get a route w/ direction points though? whenever i try, even after messing with the track, points, route, etc. i either get the route w/ turning points but it results in straight lines. or i get a route that follows the road but no navigation points.
Are you referring to using the GM2GPX bookmarklet? I had troubles with that at first, either drawing straight lines between points, or drawing the path but not making any waypoints. The way I found to fix it adds one extra (but easy) step.

When you click on GM2GPX, select the option for Full. Highlight all the code and paste it into Notepad (or any text editor). The extra step now is, you need to do a search and replace, changing the <cmt> tags to <desc> tags.
So in Notepad I just hit Ctrl+H for Find and Replace, type in cmt in the Find field, and then type in desc in the Replace field. Then save as route1.gpx and load it in Maemo Mapper.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson L. Squeeko For This Useful Post:

Tags
garnet, palm