Active Topics

Don't know if you already have read about this but here it goes.

"Fixed: The Linux Desktop Responsiveness Problem?"

Also releated it's this

Sometimes my N900 get's stuck when making a photo or so, and I think this would make my N900 feel snappier in some cases. Maybe it can be ported to the N900. Also, it does seem the right way should be compile this newer version of the Linux kernel for the N900 rather than backporting the patches. Does anyone have any idea??

The Following User Says Thank You to Ignacius For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Smyrna, Atlanta / Bangalore, India
Originally Posted by Ignacius View Post

Also releated it's this

Sometimes my N900 get's stuck when making a photo or so, and I think this would make my N900 feel snappier in some cases. Maybe it can be ported to the N900. Also, it does seem the right way should be compile this newer version of the Linux kernel for the N900 rather than backporting the patches. Does anyone have any idea??
hey.. good find buddy.. wondering if this could fix the bug resulting in bad responsiveness after more than 48 hours of uptime..

i think Titan might be able to answer your question..

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Did you read this part "when dealing with significant disk activity on systems where there is insufficient RAM or the disks are slow".

It means that if you will have bad performance if you are low on RAM. This is no general problem for linux on modern desktops. Some have it.. I have never experienced it though. It will most likely not come to the n900 and i am not sure it needs it.

the patch is for 2.6.36 and the n900 kernel is 2.6.28, so it's not a patch-and-go situation, but maybe worths a try

Posts: 446 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lake District, Cumbria, UK
Originally Posted by clasificado View Post
the patch is for 2.6.36 and the n900 kernel is 2.6.28, so it's not a patch-and-go situation, but maybe worths a try
"Let's hope this work lands successfully into the Linux 2.6.36 kernel and many are also hoping it will work its way back into the Linux 2.6.32 stable series and is picked up by other distribution vendors for their older enterprise-targeted kernels."

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODQ3OQ

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
Did you read this part "when dealing with significant disk activity on systems where there is insufficient RAM or the disks are slow".

It means that if you will have bad performance if you are low on RAM. This is no general problem for linux on modern desktops. Some have it.. I have never experienced it though. It will most likely not come to the n900 and i am not sure it needs it.
Also I think this is more of a problem when doing large bulk transfers to a slow drive, filling up ram and having to wait for data to be pushed to the slow disk before the fast disk can be accessed.
I'm not sure if it's much help on n900 where we just sit waiting for the emmc most of the time

Originally Posted by Ignacius View Post

Also releated it's this

I've backported this patch to 2.6.28... and it has been submitted to the power-kernel project. Other than that, my N900 has been running pretty well with this patch. :-)
https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/ind...1528&atid=5523