Active Topics

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
You must... become the code

Mentalist, maybe it is good idea to request wiki article from gurus - about .deb packaging, etc?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Mentalist, maybe it is good idea to request wiki article from gurus - about .deb packaging, etc?
Well, .deb packaging isn't hard, there's tutorials online, and I have a vague idea of how to do it. And if I had the time, digging through Maemo.org wiki pages and threads of putting package sources through the auto-builder wouldn't be hard; it's just time is horribly limited, I have countless projects at any given time, etc. So I haven't gotten around to it.

Edit: I've tried to start getting myself off my *** in this regard by submitting a request for upload privileges to the extras-devel repository. If that goes through I can see if I can contact the current maintainers of aircrack-ng, and hopefully take over the maintainer-ship of that project on garage and the repository (or maybe me contacting them would just make them motivated to work on the package again. *Shrug*).

Oh, while I remember: I'd like to publicly thank Hawaii, without whom I would've never compiled aircrack-ng from a more recent version of code in the first place.

Edit 2: Submitted maintainer request and sent an email to the previous maintainer. (I'm starting to read documentation on the whole packaging and uploading process; will continue as time permits. I'll do my best to get a more recent aircrack-ng version into the repositories in under a couple of weeks, assuming I am able to get maintainer status by then.)

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-05-14 at 06:48.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
If anyone's interested in this, as of a couple of days ago, backseatgreg (the username of the previous maintainer of the aircrack-ng port) said he's giving me the lead on maintaining the aircrack-ng package. I'm still showing up as "Pending Maintainer Requests" in the aircrack-ng package link here:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/aircrack-ng/
But the same is the case with Pali and the power-kernel (I.E. he can upload new versions but he's not showing up as the maintainer, but as a pending maintainer). And I suspect that backseatgreg probably let me into it as he said he was going to, as I'm now able to access the garage page for aircrackn-ng is admin.

And yesterday early morning I got the requested invite sent to me to get upload permissions to devel. So as soon as I get the chance to finish reading through the documentation and have the time, I'll try to push a new aircrack-ng version to the repositories. Whenever that happens, if the auto-builder builds it right, I'll post a new thread at that time.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Thank You very much for this info - please also provide link to this new thread here, allright? I think that original creator of this thread could also update #1 post and title.

Okay, so as much as I don't like just posting updates to the effect of "Still working on it, updates are still coming eventually, no concrete estimate available, etc", I also know people like hearing updates and I don't want to be the kind of dev/maintainer that's mostly silent and doesn't try to keep a rapport going with users.

So here's my attempt to keep you guys updated on my horribly slow progress:

I've spent the occasional bits of free time that I have reading through the maemo.org documentation and stuff, though I wouldn't say I fully know right now what the hell I should be doing. I downloaded the latest (today's) aircrack-ng development SVN sources, and the sources from the maemo.org garage page (this would be sources for the version sitting in devel right now afaik). The main idea being I wanted to see what I could learn what I needed to do to make the latest source auto-builder compatible by looking at what the current port's sources had that the upstream ones didn't. Near as I can tell that's just a debian/ folder with a bunch of stuff.

Honestly, my first plan of action is to see what happens if I just toss the debian folder into the 1.1 sources and... go from there depending.

I'm not going to have access to internet (or even large amounts of electricity) for about a day starting later today, so I doubt you'll see any updates to aircrack-ng before Monday at the earliest. I also encourage everyone to not get their hopes up TOO high just yet. Keep in mind that the first couple of -devel updates that I push out might end up not optified (in spite of the optified-ness of the currently in-devel version), or might otherwise turn out somehow messy/broken, while I figure out the ropes of this packaging thing. (That's what -devel is for of course, BUT I know a lot of end-users sit around in -devel nowadays anyway, so fair warning.)

@Estel - yes, I will provide a link here when the time comes to post a new thread.

First attempt at update uploading went through the auto-builder... I *THINK*. Thread here. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=73417

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: