Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Paderborn / Germany
How do I configure Claws Mail to read my email offline?

I enabled offline-sync in the folder properties for the last 14 days, but when I switch to "offline-mode" I cannot read my mails!

Any ideas?

Before going offline select the top level folder of your IMAP account and use the 'Synchronize' menu item. The folders you've flagged for offline sync will then have their msg bodies downloaded.

OK, but unfortunately I have problems with this bug: http://www.thewildbeast.co.uk/claws-...ug.cgi?id=1341

Can't reproduce that bug here

Originally Posted by claws View Post
Can't reproduce that bug here
I can repro that bug, originally on OS2007 with a claws-mail of fairly recent vintage. This prompted me to upgrade to OS2008 and claws-mail 3.3.0, and I still have the problem.

With synchronization enabled on my inbox, claws-mail establishes the SSL connection to the IMAP server, begins to synchronize, and crashes. 100% reproducible.

With synchronization disabled, claws-mail connects to the IMAP server and displays my inbox. I can read messages, etc.

Looking at the comments on bug 1341, it seems likely that one particular message is causing the crash. Is there a way to get debug output so I can maybe figure out which message is to blame?

logicprobe

The crash is caused by a large message. See my bug 1515.

The Following User Says Thank You to martin_d For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by martin_d View Post
The crash is caused by a large message. See my bug 1515.
Thank you so much! Someone recently sent me several photos, the message is 10.95MB according to claws-mail, and the date is consistent with when the crashing started. I have two other large messages, 7.20MB and 7.67MB, but they've been there a while and don't seem to cause any problem.

I moved the offending message to its own folder, re-enabled sync, then quit and restarted claws-mail. No crash.

Any idea of the maximum message size for sync to be successful? As a workaround I'm thinking of setting up a processing rule on my mail server to divert large messages to a separate (non-synchronized) folder.

For anyone else who stumbles onto this thread, if claws-mail crashes when you select a synchronized folder, even when you're just trying to get to the popup menu so you can to go to Properties and disable synchronization, the workaround is to disconnect from the network before starting claws-mail. With no network connection, it can't sync with the IMAP server, and you can get to folder properties without crashing the program.

From there I disabled synchronization, quit claws-mail, turned the network connection back on, and restarted claws-mail. I opened my inbox, and with sync disabled, claws-mail didn't crash. Then I clicked on the "Size" column to sort by message size and found the offending huge message. I moved the message to a different (non-sync'ed) folder, re-enabled sync on my inbox, quit and restarted, and claws-mail was happy again and not crashing.

Whew! This has been driving me crazy for about a week. Martin, thanks again for the help!!

logicprobe

Added on 2/27/08: Happened again today with an 8.62MB message. I disabled sync as described above so I could move the message and discovered that Claws-mail crashes when it tries to open the message in non-sync mode. Claws-mail can move the message to another folder, but don't try to actually open the message. As noted above, Claws-mail can deal with a 7.67MB message. So based on today's offending large message, we can infer that the limit is somewhere in the range 7.67MB to 8.62MB.

Last edited by logicprobe; 2008-02-27 at 19:50. Reason: New info

How much room do you have on the / filesystem?

Originally Posted by colinleroy View Post
Clearly too less for a 10MB message. That could be the cause.
I will try to investigate that further.

Originally Posted by colinleroy View Post
In my case, I've got about 100MB on / and about 3GB on the internal SD card where claws keeps its stuff.