Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yeah, I'm running into that too. What package is triggering the xorg avalanche? We need to find it...

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
In Deblet we avoid the avalanche through this in xserver-omap:

Provides: xserver-xorg
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
This is a glaring blinking message that serve's as the epitome to why running two debian's side-by-side seems a bit silly...

Qole - why not frame a basic-barebones deblet and remove what you don't want to and tar that up for your rootfs??
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Qole - why not frame a basic-barebones deblet and remove what you don't want to and tar that up for your rootfs??
Because I'm working from the other direction; I'm starting with a basic-barebones Debian Lenny (from debootstrap) and adding in the one or two chroot-related Deblet hacks (like the Adobe flash player from Maemo with Stskeeps' brilliant little hack) as I need them. I'm not sure the reverse-deblet approach would gain me anything.

That being said, it would be nice to have a couple of those dummy packages with the trick "provides" lines in the fatalsaint repository...

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
In Deblet we avoid the avalanche through this in xserver-omap:

Provides: xserver-xorg
Not real familiar with Debian, but it wouldn't seem right for packages to depend on xserver-xorg; I'd expect a virtual package xserver or such...

Yeah, there's something wrong with the LXDE package; you should never require xorg.

Ok, please find attached a .deb (made with equivs) that will provide xserver-xorg and xscreensaver, two packages that we won't be using on the tablets.

In your non-deblet Debian, as root, do the following:

Code:
dpkg -i dummy-xorg_1.0_all.deb
You will then be able to apt-get install lxde without pulling in the entire xorg tree.
Attached Files
File Type: deb dummy-xorg_1.0_all.deb (2.0 KB, 170 views)

Oh, very nice.

You need to use "startlxde", "lxsession" segfaults.

And "logout" doesn't seem to work...

Ok, it is very picky about how it is run; you need to use startlxde, and if you use xinit, it has to be run as user, not as root. I had to modify startlxde to include the DISPLAY=:1 so that it would start in my Xephyr install...

By the way, if you want to start any apps, perhaps you can run them in the startlxde script?

Last edited by qole; 2008-09-10 at 06:31.

Ha! I don't have my tablet right here for testing (although I can ssh in), but I think I found what the OP was looking for:

Try this file:

/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

It's a bit scary, since this file seems to control everything that starts when LXDE starts... My one looks like this:
Code:
@lxde-settings
@xscreensaver -no-splash
@lxpanel --profile LXDE
@pcmanfm -d
so I guess you can delete xscreensaver and add xmodmap...

Some important information I found from this unlikely source:

List other applications you want to launch, one command per line. Note that there is no '&' at the end of every line since this is not a shell script. Don't append & at the end of any line. Since this is not a shell script, shell expansion like ~ or $HOME won't work. If you need this, write a script and do the shell things there, than list the script here in the autostart file.

If a line starts with @, the program will be guarded by lxsession. That means: If the program crashes, it should be automatically restarted. If the program is terminated normally, or is terminated because it receives SIGTERM or SIGKILL, then the reload won't happen.
The same page also suggests something else interesting:

Another way to start programs on session startup is to add their *.desktop
files in ~/.config/autostart. Please refer to the Autostart spec.
Another site suggests that the file name in your home directory to use for autostarting is ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/default

EDIT: I can confirm
that anything put into
/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart and the .desktop files in /home/user/.config/autostart do start up. Nothing in the "default" file works, not ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/default nor /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/default.

Last edited by qole; 2008-09-12 at 16:25. Reason: more info

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I dont delete xscreensaver because I set it to just a black screen and lock my window... with an N810 it's a good way to keep from "accidentally" launching stuff when it's in my pocket... and I also think it helps with battery life.

But just to show you how dismal Debian battery life is it made it about 8 hours with minimal use before shutting down. that's how long maemo lasts for ACTIVE use. I had it sitting on my desk most the day at work and just eveyr so often hit the screen to make sure it was still running.. then I saw it start the shutdown procedures after about 8 hours.

Nifty trick on startup for LXDE qole... I shall add xmodmap to mine.. thanks man .
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Tags
debian, lxde