Active Topics

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on May 2010 @ limassol cyprus
he is talking about his own personal drivers, you know, the one that drive him to preschool and back! ........

Peace.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n900 lover For This Useful Post:
i guess its missing the "ignore abill_uk" driver for us sane users..

if(user=="abill_uk")
{
ignore_for_life =1;
entertainment++;
decontaimation_atmosphere_of_abill_uk=1;
}

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lifenexus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I don't know if abill is right or wrong, but I don't understand what's wrong with being asked to provide citation of your claims and being asked to explain what is missing if you claim the drivers are missing.

Everyone knows I'm no fanboy of Nokia/Maemo/MeeGo after my rocky relationship, but you can't be considered fair and pragmatic if you can't be prepared to take some questions and point out why you have made that claim or have an opinion.

Come on back and point out what's missing, abill.. I want to know, too!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I don't know if abill is right or wrong, but I don't understand what's wrong with being asked to provide citation of your claims and being asked to explain what is missing if you claim the drivers are missing.

Everyone knows I'm no fanboy of Nokia/Maemo/MeeGo after my rocky relationship, but you can't be considered fair and pragmatic if you can't be prepared to take some questions and point out why you have made that claim or have an opinion.

Come on back and point out what's missing, abill.. I want to know, too!
actually.. the community does piss me off too at times..
they're usually too ignorant to see the bigger picture.. so i dont even bother to participate anymore..
jus sayin'

oh btw.. he's kinda right..
i've seen some requests from bugs.maemo.org for release of few needed drivers.. but again.. nokia is refusing to do so..
one of them is this
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7019#c21

Last edited by fahadj2003; 2011-05-23 at 01:07.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by fahadj2003 View Post
they're usually too ignorant to see the bigger picture.. so i dont even bother to participate anymore..
jus sayin'

i've seen some requests from bugs.maemo.org for release of few needed drivers.. but again.. nokia is refusing to do so..
one of them is this
Thankyou for posting the link to that because i gave up with this argument a long time ago because of the likes of wmarone and people like him so now i just let them rant on.

WHEN Nokia finally release FULL source code for this device then we will have a FULL picture of how to deal with the hardware built into the device and untill they settle this with the 3rd party companies involved then parts of the driver structure will remain closed source.

Now it does not even take a bird brain to work out that if your writing an os for a device then it MUST be 100% open source at least to the developers involved and that is not the case yet so the situation will always be a workaround because of legalities surrounding full release of the Maemo source code.

You lot can argue this out among yourselves as i will have no part in it but ask yourself a question... why has it been over 7 month since a release from Nokia and STILL it remains a battle to get the ship sailing without any problems.

All we have got is 3rd party software that requires a specific boot situation to run and will not fire up the device in its own right, is that a way to write an os for a device? no way is it so untill the day comes when we have a COMPLETE OS that takes over the Maemo os in its own right without any programming whatsoever needed from Nokia to enable it to run is the day we can all say it is no longer closed source.

The DE team is doing well to date and as long as it continues to do so will hopefully give us the os we need that overwrites the Maemo os alltogether taking Nokia out of the equation!.

By the way the title of this thread is very misleading as what it refers too is a developers platform that is no way complete and should have the letters DE at the end of it.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Now it does not even take a bird brain to work out that if your writing an os for a device then it MUST be 100% open source
its not required that all companies makes their OS 100% opensource. iOS is barely opensoruce. So is wp7 etc.. nokia kept certain parts of the os locked away like BME etc to prevent people damaging the device circuitry.
people complain against you is because you are always negative and talk a lot of stuff and dont provied a little proof. There was one time you said that you converted you micro usb port to a full usb OTG and never bothered telling how.

Originally Posted by lifenexus View Post
nokia kept certain parts of the os locked away like BME etc to prevent people damaging the device circuitry.

There was one time you said that you converted you micro usb port to a full usb OTG and never bothered telling how.
He's very thoughtful; he didn't want you to damage your device.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by fahadj2003 View Post
jus sayin'

one of them is this
Ah okay! This I can understand--and I totally agree. I've been ranting about this EVERY SINCE I FIRST BOUGHT MY N800 and made similar complaints about the whole puffery and pride over selling me a device that Nokia claims to be based on the open-source OS (LINUX) and how they touted the openness at the big, best feature... and then the arduous journey we all experienced to get that openness out of even just the APPS (nevermind even the drivers)... the source code for the applications Nokia themselves included with the OS were held closed tighter than Steve Ballmer's arsehole whenever you mention Google. MANY of us clamored, some went through the whole formal process and got very, very few wins (the wifi driver, thank GOD) but comparatively few things were opened despite there BEING a process. When Maemo 5 came out, despite more things being opened, EVEN MORE closed-source software was thrown in (ovi crap, calendar, battery system, etc.). I've been so jaded I stopped bothering to follow it anymore, but I believe there were, again, very few wins to open things up (camera stack was opened for example.. but the calendar remains closed--the CALENDAR app? Seriously?? ...and you STILL can't replace these apps with a fully open replacement without breaking the OS, just like the old days with the N800).

Now there's MeeGo! An OS founded on a GREAT idea to start out with 100% open source and MINIMIZE the closed-source in the OS. I love it. But, again, if you're building hardware for an open-source OS, why are you intentionally crippling these efforts to aim for 100% open and letting the community fix the problems that they find? For that matter, why are you designing HARDWARE with components that require closed-source drivers? Stop that! Or at least stop bragging about your openness. I learned a lot about how to be very critical about a company selling you on a promising future with openness then dashing those expectations repeatedly while providing less-than-satisfying communications and customer service even on the hardware level where competitors consistently fare far better. Thanks, Nokia.

I'm just tired of this stupid game with Nokia. So, I'm with abill regarding open drivers and being able to scratch our own itch with the hardware that Nokia apparently intends to keep replacing and leaving orphaned with closed-minded software and drivers to make SURE you buy the NEWER thing, instead of impressing us with a BETTER thing.

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
He's very thoughtful; he didn't want you to damage your device.
Best reply... ever!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lifenexus View Post
its not required that all companies makes their OS 100% opensource. iOS is barely opensoruce. So is wp7 etc.. nokia kept certain parts of the os locked away like BME etc to prevent people damaging the device circuitry.
people complain against you is because you are always negative and talk a lot of stuff and dont provied a little proof. There was one time you said that you converted you micro usb port to a full usb OTG and never bothered telling how.
Now we seem to be getting closer to the truth and my points.

You just said

"its not required that all companies makes their OS 100% opensource. iOS is barely opensoruce. So is wp7 etc.. nokia kept certain parts of the os locked away like BME etc to prevent people damaging the device circuitry."

We are talking about a device that has been ABANDONED by its manufacturer and under those circumstances for any future development to take place and be successful it MUST open souce the complete entirety of the device to enable future development to take place.

The reason nitroid is troubled and MeeGo is not yet established as an os for the N900 is simple because of the lack of code needed to fully understand how to drive the device.

Some truth in the words of Daperl in that if the device is driven wrongly then it will suffer damage, the main reason everything has to be right.

MeeGo is not complete simply because they are having to put together every single driver needed that will work together not fight itself and also allow the porting of much needed apps to run without conflict.

We have a situation here that is absolutely full of conflicts in one way or another and will remain so untill Nokia release fully the code needed to establish much needed clear development to take place.

Please take a look at all the NOFIX situation on the os of the N900 Maemo version and then you will realise the reason everyone is having trouble let alone Nokia who just stopped to further there own development.

MeeGo is being developed for FUTURE devices and only a handful of devs are working on the actual version of MeeGo for the N900.

Stop dreaming and get realistic and more to the point realise that time is against us IF devs give up on the adaptions for the N900, which at this rate is a more likely thing to happen as progress is very slow.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-05-23 at 04:30.

Tags
foad abill, nokia blows, sock it to me?, stfu abill